Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Do we really need all the Passwords, User ID’s, User Names? Part One

Passwords, User ID’s, User Names…..These are all necessary evils of the internet.  No matter where you go online, you need to have these to exist on the Internet.  From the moment you sign on to your computer in the morning till you turn if off at night.  What is confusing is to me is the more of these I have to know, the more I mix-up what each password is for which user name and for what application.

Some you need a number in it, some you need a Capital letter.  Some will let you use symbols while others won’t.  There are some passwords that won’t allow you to use anything that is close to your name while others require a number in the middle.  And where do most people keep this secure information?  My guess, is on their phone, the most lost or damaged item since another security item was invented, keys.  Security is actually synonymous with lost and forgotten.
I would not be surprised if one day to get into your ATM you will need to do the following:  hopping up and down on one foot, pull your left ear lobe while spinning clockwise and singing your high school “fight song.”  Well, maybe not.  But it sure would be funny to watch.
I started a new job less than a month ago (which is why I haven't blogged in a while) and the first information I received from my new company were the user ID’s and passwords for my laptop, for the VPN, for the intra-company web site, for the company’s mainframe computer, and of course for my new company email.  Five new separate ID’s and five new unique passwords.  I don’t remember what I had for lunch yesterday, let alone all these new security ID’s and passwords.  To make things worse, I am required to change the passwords every ninety days!  This is all in the name of our company’s security.
While it is important to keep company information secure from hackers, it has become apparently difficult to keep secure all the information we have at our fingertips.  While it’s great to have access to all this information, I find it sometimes more challenging to remember all the User ID’s, User names or Passwords than the information I actually need. 
Apple even has an “App” that will keep all your User ID’s, User Names and Passwords in one secure App.  Of course you need a master User Name and Password to get to this information.  In essence, you need a User Name and Password for your User Names and Passwords.  Does that seem a bit redundant? 
Nothing I have, behind all the security, is that interesting in the first place. They won’t get much, if they did break into my checking account, actually it wouldn’t be worth all the trouble to take the time to try to steal my identity.

Soon we may all need a user name and password to go to the bathroom.  Maybe “they” will keep count how many times you relieve yourself during the course of the day.  Now there’s real important interesting information.  Those of you who have read this blog may remember the “key to the men’s room” in “Things that confuse me, Part One”.  Same idea I guess.
 
With the major banks paying you virtually no interest on your accounts and now attempting to charge you a monthly fee to use your ATM to get to your own money.  Fortunately, the consumers actually bonded together and virtually stopped this charge as the banks will need to get creative.  But, have no fear, I believe the banks will get creative and will find a way to keep their stockholders happy at our expense.
I am thinking about going back to a banking method used in the old days.  CASH, remember that paper stuff with pictures of dead president’s on them?  I may just stick my money in my mattress or in a hidden hole in one of my home’s walls.  It might be the most efficient way to keep my money.  At least I won’t need a User ID or Password to get to it and I won’t pay any fees to get to it. 

No need to speak to a teller or to use one of those chat things you do on line with “Bob” or “Sue,” which you know is a false name.  In this way you won't know that they are really in India or somewhere else where labor is inexpensive.  Having to answer security questions with "Bob" or "Sue" is also a bit concerning.
We have a security nearly everywhere we go.  We have a security system on our home, of course with a password.  A password to open the garage door, and as you can see, we can’t escape the process.  It’s almost everywhere in our life. 
Am I the only one that feels this way?  On Friday, I will share with you one  way we could put American’s back to work, invest in our country’s security for years to come and never have to remember a password, user ID or user name ever again. 
See you Friday for more of Notes by Blue.

Please follow me on Twitter @slblue. If you have a moment, I would love to hear from you, either add a comment in the section below or send me an email to: steveblue22@gmail.com Please be sure to forward the blog to your co-workers, family and friends.

6 comments:

  1. What we need is something that is "uniquely me" and cheap to implement. Fingerprint readers are not quite good enough - and yet a DNA scan is too intrusive / costly. Somewhere in the middle, there must be a unique bit that we are born with, that would eliminate all the bloody different usernames. The people who figure this one out should get very rich....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven help me if I die without writing down all my id's and passwords. My kids will never figure it out. Come to think of it, I don't know all my passwords and id's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is flight of fantasy! User ID's are really Freudian. Freud talked about the id, ego, and superego. We are really locking up all of our base instincts behind letters and numbers. This is done to hide all of what we do behind closed doors. The more we communicate, the more we have to protect ourselves, keeping the world out of our private lives. Paranoid or just being realistic?

    User id's only makes us feel like we are secure. Look at how much personal information is stolen from big companies and we have no control over what is being compiled about us. Bottom line is we are doing the best we can. The most secure way to be is totally off the grid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    I liked you article.

    Your comment of the rest room -- they do this now becuase of the compliance of the badge....

    BTW - I needed a login and password to read your post! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve and the rest! There are at least services where you only need to remember one user name and password to be able to access the rest of the ones you register there; http://www.just1key.com/ as an example. If you search for Password Service, you get more alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your humorous take on a serious subject that affects everyone's lives. Here's a suggestion. How about a chip installed on a computer or phone that would take care of the process of entering user IDs, passwords, etc. over and over again? All of our ID names and passwords could be installed as they apply to all the sites we visit plus for entry to our computers or phones. We would never need to enter those items ever again. Oh, wait. Eventually, we'll need more of them for future sites we visit, i.e., online stores at which we shop, game sites we visit, and the like. Okay. In the words of Emily Latella, "Never mind."

    ReplyDelete