Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Strange College Football Rituals.... Part One





It took a month for the blog to hit the first 1000 hits, now after four months it has hit 35,000 hits.  11,000 hits in the last month alone, A Special Thanks to you, for reading and making Notes by Blue one of the fastest growing blogs on the internet.  When I wrote this piece, last month, I wrote "In our first three months, we have now had over 24,000 hits from all over the world! Thank you again for your loyal support." 

I want to thank you all for your support and on Tuesday it will be a brand new blog on "Passwords".  Please come back on Tuesday if you have ever been frustrated by all the passwords and user ID's we have to keep track of these days.
Steve


As we all know, the college football season began recently.  Here in the South, college football is nearly a religion.  It is a very personal matter and many times spectators take it to extremes.  After all, who you root for is either based on where you were educated, or where a family member was educated or it’s where you currently live. Either way, sometimes you have no choice as to who you will be a fan.  But nearly everyone is supports at least one team, it’s a given if you live here in the South.  After all, this is considered the “Bible Belt.”

As I discuss this subject, please take my observations as someone that is from the Midwest and didn’t participate in these rituals while I was in college.  Primarily my feelings were based on the fact that my alma mater didn’t have a football team.  Actually they didn’t have an athletic department, let alone a team.  So when I moved here 35 years ago, I thought these people were crazy.  Now, after living here so long, and understanding the rituals of college football, it’s been confirmed.  They are crazy.

Generally speaking, in preparation to attend a game, there are many rituals that take place.  Probably the most common is “tailgating.” For those of you just coming out of your cave, this is a ritual in which a group of people gather, sometimes the morning of a game or sometimes even the night before a game, to share food and spirits in a parking lot.  Yes, people hang out in a parking lot or an open field near the football stadium.

The location of the actual spot, in the parking lot to have this weekly feast, becomes very competitive and squatters win out.  You read that correctly, you become a squatter in a parking lot.  Not that you actually have to physically squat the entire time you are there, but a squatter in the sense you have secured your location from others jockeying for position.  Like in the early 1800’s when people would go prospecting for gold and when they found a good location, they claimed it as theirs.  The feeling is, “Don’t mess with my spot.”

The intent is your group needs to be seen by others, and squatter’s rights have become important.  Superstition becomes paramount, a group must have a certain spot and always the same spot in the parking lot party.  The belief is their team always wins when the group is in “their spot” and if they don’t have that spot, the team will obviously lose the game.  It is not uncommon for some people to feel the need to stand in the cold and cook meals, sometimes all night, while standing around a fire to insure they have their sacred spot.

By the time the game starts, all those standing around the fire will smell like a fire.  As usually there are no showers close to the parking lot.  There’s nothing like smelling like a fire to get someone fired up for a football game.  While many will bring their prepared dishes and make it a feast and beer festival in a parking lot across from the stadium.  After stuffing themselves with burgers and hot dogs, BBQ, beans, coleslaw and other southern delicacies, while finishing off a keg of beer or a fifth of bourbon, they will then attempt to go to the actual game.

Some who tailgate, don’t even have tickets to the game and will watch it with a generator and a TV.  Just to have the “feeling of the game.”  Some I think do it because there is a keg of beer, a bottle of Jack Daniels, and a TV with a safe place to pass out.

OK, now back to the football crazy fans.  They tend to become football maniacs and will almost anything to show support for their team.  They lose all sense of sanity.  Now, I’m not sure if it’s the booze, they may wake up this way, or it is a learned talent.  But, I have always wondered about those that will paint their bodies and stand around in freezing weather. 

That’s right, grown adults paint their faces, sometimes their bodies with their team’s colors and logos.  Will it guarantee a win? NO.  But, no one has told them that, so the ritual continues from generation to generation. Small children are subjected to body painting under the guidance of their parents.  So the whole family wakes up and paints each other prior to the game.  But, I must be totally honest; I personally have never prepared to see a football game by painting my body with my team's colors, logos or the alphabet, whether it’s warm or cold. Maybe it’s me that’s crazy, but I don’t think so.

Then they have to walk around the rest of the day looking like a total loser that painted their body.  Even stranger, if you think about it, as I obviously have done. Why do a group of guys (women are usually much smarter) paint one letter on their bare chest?  What would happen, especially after tailgating and a lot of beers, they become dyslexic and can’t spell?

They must nominate someone sober, like a “designated speller”, to put them in the correct order so they spell their team correctly while sitting in the stands.  Some of the various people get to a point where they aren’t sure where they are, let alone know how to spell.  It can be pretty funny to watch them from a distance.
  
What if painting your body the school colors was extended to other college experiences?  Could you see people painted up at a college debating team match?  I think not.  Or what about a college tennis match?  I sure hope I never see it, it would always seem out of place for me.  This process seems to primarily center on football.

Personally, I prefer to watch it on TV in the comfort of my “Man Cave” at home with my female dogs.  This way I can sit in my comfortable leather chair and ottoman. Sleep during half time and be with my girls, as they are sleeping too.  The temperature and weather is always perfect. I have never been rained on or felt frozen in the Man Cave.  The best part, is I never have to wait in line to go to the bathroom.  I am always first in line.  I can drink whatever I want and not worry about driving home or traffic.  As Martha Stewart would say, “It’s a good thing.”

The dogs aren’t real big fans of any sport, but will watch whatever I decide.  I have found that they truly don’t care who wins, either way they are happy.  Then again, they are always happy, just to be with me.  They don’t interrupt by talking during an exciting play and don’t ask me to do something for them while the game is going on. They can use their doggy door if need be.

Join me on Thursday when I finish “Strange College Football Rituals Part Two.”  Do you have any special ritual you and your friends have before or at a game?  Let me know, and if I have space I’ll add it to the blog.  See you on Thursday.

Please follow me on Twitter @slblue. If you have a moment, I would love to hear from you, either add a comment in the section below or send me an email to: steveblue22@gmail.com Please be sure to forward the blog to your co-workers, family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. Being one of those Southerners for whom college football is almost a religion, this blog tickled me pink! Having practiced many of these rituals myself, I absolutely admit to going a bit crazy on game day. You will be happy to hear that I have not yet gone shirtless and painted my body with a big Letter on my chest but I have marveled at those brave souls who are willing to brave sub-freezing temps in support of their team! And I look forward to each new tailgate season to see what the latest trend will be and how far the one-upmanship will go. Can't wait for the madness to begin again!

    ReplyDelete